Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Course One- Pro Point Guard College: Basketball Dribbling 101

Welcome to the online Pro Point Guard College. I'm a 16-year Euro Pro, NBA, and NCAA All-American Point Guard that wants to help you or your team get to their basketball goals. My passion is educating, inspiring, and explaining why Jason Otter's #1 basketball training system has transformed over 1000 middle school, high school and AAU basketball players into college or pros.

4 BASKETBALL DRIBBLING DRILLS PRO TIPS:

  1. Watch this short demo. Notice their stance. Butt down. Their backs are straight and their eyes remain up. Once you have the proper form and technique for these drills, increase you intensity: 

  2. Intensity is key as you progress. A pro point guard must have explosive ball handling and dribbling moves. By lowering your base, engaging your core and abs, you increase the power, speed, and quickness of your dribble move.

  3. Make sure you keep your base strong. At my college, or Jason Otter events, we walk around and push players to see if they move or fall out of their stance. If you have a weak base or foundation, you will have a hard time creating explosiveness and quickness with the basketball.
  4. Plan to incorporate this into your basketball workouts twice per day. Yes, I said twice per day. Pro point guards practice twice per day.






I'm writing a book, it's called the Point Guard Methods and it is my method for approaching basketball and life development, on how to design a youth basketball training system, from learning Jason's basketball dribbling drills to basketball shooting protocols, to basketball conditioning (as in learning how to improve your vertical jump quickly and safely) so you can play at the highest level possible.
Most kids, parents, and coaches think that PRO basketball skills take 8-10 hours a day of basketball off-season practice and playing, Aau basketball every weekend, and on and on and on... This idea of basketball improvement is:
False.
So what did I do? What would I have done differently if I had all the knowledge I do know as a 14 year old? I'd design parts of my basketball program with Jason Otter's dribbling and ball handling drills twice a day!
See, I consistently started basketball dribbling drills two times a day for 45 minutes to an 1 hour before school (the PG Sunrise Club!) and after school when I started my vision quest to be a college basketball player when I was in 8th grade with my dad. 
But I didn't know what I was doing, nor did I actually work all that hard.
I barely made it to a division I scholarship. But then I met Jason and my career took off.
Hopefully this will be the education and inspiration you need to get where your vision quest or basketball goals are taking you. Good luck and ask any questions here or email me in form on top right!
--Trevor Huffman



Ps. OtterBasketball would like to congratulate Philip Flory on his recent verbal commitment to Marquette University! Philip has been involved in the OtterBasketball training program since 2009 and made the commitment to Marquette before ever even playing in a High School game! Hard work pays off!



No comments: