Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

The PRO POINT GUARD TRAINING METHOD to Living


Inspiration comes when you least expect it. Most players, parents, and coaches don't get how much passion, energy, intensity, planning, and vision go into being a PRO point guard. As Derrick Rose battles back from his surgery, just like thousands of other players out there giving it their all, we must have a PRO plan to getting where we want to go.

It's not just what you do, it's how you do it, why you do it, and the method you use to approach designing your life around (your vision quest) of basketball training, playing, or coaching.

You have to design, I repeat, design your life around the best training practices, coaching drills and concepts in THE WORLD!

Yes, find the best in the world, and replicate what they are trying to do (not so tough right?)

There are thousands of online basketball coaches and trainers popping up. It's important for you to do your research before investing in yourself whether it's a point guard camp, point guard college, elite pg online training, youth basketball training, etc...

The good news is, I've been doing this for 20 years. I can cut through the crap, the BS, the scam artists teaching killer crossovers and spin moves without a clue of what really goes on at the highest levels.


PRO PG METHOD BASKETBALL TIPS:

STOP TRAINING INCORRECTLY. 

STOP DESIGNING YOUR LIFE AROUND BADDDDDD HABITS and SKILL MOVEMENTS THAT DON'T WORK AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL.

It's the motivation and passion behind my own Pro Point Guard Academy in Northern Michigan. It's the reason I write and tell you about stuff, videos, point guard training drills, and basketball equipment--from shoes, ankle braces to training products-- that actually aren't crap.



So, before I write about my life here in France, playing (recovering from surgery) for the Antibes Sharks, in PRO A, I want you to check out my 2014 Personal Journey Pics- 365 Days of the Point Guard Method-- my future book and overall approach to lifestyle, training, and basketball coaching design: HERE!


One of the things I constantly tell kids, parents, and coaches is: Start acting like a PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER RIGHT NOW! Don't wait. Inaction is the root of all failure. As Thomas Edison did, "You don't fail until you stop trying (acting, in this case)."

One of my 2014 PG Method Habits, as I recover from ankle surgery, is waking up with the sunrise everyday, just like I used to wake up and do basketball dribbling drills before school started.

The Pro Point Guard Method applies to everything in life.

Basketball injuries and setbacks happen everyday. After 12 years of playing Pro ball, "Your ankles," the doctor said, "look like a 65 year-old with a calcium deficiency."

Thanks Doc for the uplifting news!

Yep, reconstructive ankle surgery is no fun. In fact, I'm going to tell you that it downright stinks like a pile of poo you stepped in bare foot that sticks to the insides of your toes.

Yes, basketball isn't always fun.

But that's life-- challenges, failures, broken hearts, millions and millions of dollars, wait, what?

Sorry, I got ahead of myself. I'm going to add that to 2040's vision quests list. But seriously, I'm not going to lie and say I wasn't down about my luck going into the surgery, knowing I would miss the whole basketball season, knowing I went from a champion last year to riding the bench and pool therapy this year. 

Pain and suffering aren't the easiest pills to swallow.

But eventually the Proverbial Point Guard in me said, "What else can you do? What else can you be? What else can you explore? What else can you dream?"

I realized life is limitless in what we can do. It just so happened my choice and dream was to play basketball. What is yours? Can I help? Do you want to make the team? Do you want to find a college team? 

Well, first off, let's focus on getting better everyday, on getting closer to reaching your dreams. So...

What is going to make 2014 the best basketball (or non-basketball) year ever?

Name three daily habits you have to do?


How to Be a Pro Basketball Player Blog BASKETBALL TIPS:

I can tell you what most people do. They make resolutions and never do them. They think about dreams and never make them happen. People constantly fail because they fail to plan and let their dreams inspire them into daily habits.

Why do Pro Point Guards train 2x a day?

Because they friggin' want too, because they love the game, because they are afraid someone else is doing more than them, because they have always had big goals and dreams. It's never easy for the underdog, the small guy to make it, but that doesn't mean you can't. 

Here's where it applies to life! The Point Guard Method, which I will write about more, doesn't care if it is getting in shape, investing money, trying to meet a special someone, learning a new skill-- it always comes to YOUR APPROACH

So, one challenge: Write out one thing you want to accomplish and post it... don't be frightened by a big bad pro point guard. I won't bite. 

I'm your friendly basketball, not your Bob Knight cuss-you-out-expert.

If you don't write it down, and the action plan to get there, you are fooling yourself. You are procrastinating about how good you want to 2014 to be. 

If that's the case and writing out your PG daily habit creation and vision quest is too tough or demanding, then our basketball training isn't for you most likely.

Examples? Okay, one of the habits I needed to instill to reach my goal of seeing the sunrise every morning was getting up earlier and planning my day around my vision of who I wanted to be. Getting up early is not easy, just like this injury isn't easy. But day after day, it gets a little easier. I shed my old self. I see the orange sunrise peak over the white tipped Alps and am reminded that this world is big, powerful, and it's our job to tap into it. It's our job to make our dreams happen, even if we step in poo once in awhile.

Tell me what will make your 2014 the best ever? What about 1 habit you will make this year to ensure 2014 is friggin' like Chris Paul throwing lobs to DeAndre Jordan and Blake Griffin?

Let's make 2014 your best basketball year ever, are you ready?

-- Trevor Huffman

PS- JOIN or LIKE MY 365 PG CLUB- GET FREE POINT GUARD COLLEGE DISCOUNTS, OTTER TRAINING EVENT INFO, and learn HOW TO BECOME A PRO BASKETBALL PLAYER by qualifying to train with me all summer.

No comments: