Search This Blog

Monday, April 26, 2010

How To Play Basketball-- "Basketball Tips, Training, Drills, Sayings, and Quotes"

How To Play Basketball Tips Blog

*BLOG NOTE: This is written for the basketball player, parent, and coach that might want to get inside the player's head and understand the psychology of a true gym rat; for that ambitious youth aiming for the highest of basketball pinnacles; for that streetball player trying to reach their full potential on and off the court through weight training routines, basketball workouts, drills, and expanding their mind with basketball quotes, sayings, and realizations not yet realized.

May your journey and epiphanies be as fun and fulfilling as mine. Hopefully I can aid you just as others have aided me. – Trevor Huffman, Pro Basketball Player (NBA-Phoenix Suns, 8-Year European Pro)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basketball Saying #1: Get out of your Comfort Zone.

It's 8:40 a.m. in Belgium. Luckily, pro basketball in Europe doesn't start too early, but it wasn't always this easy. When I played at Kent State in the Mid American Conference, workouts started at 6:30 a.m. Those were tough. Now my mornings are slower. I watch and try to walk my dogs first-- a Jack Russell and Spanish Hound-- but they are already playing, growling, wrestling, and spinning around like a Tasmanian tornado in my living room.

It's their nature and I can't stop them.

They do it every morning and it's like an abstract doggie dance that no one can interpret-- especially me, and especially in the morning before a cup of my favorite Nespresso. Yeah, I need a kick because pots of coffee don't really exist over here. Belgians don't believe in it. So I have found the next best thing: Nespresso Pods-- small colored pods that click into a espresso machine that sucks the espresso out of them (and then get sucked down by me!)


Unfortunately, that is one of the things I have learned from my eight years of professional basketball here; pots of never-ending coffee just don't exist in Europe. Not that I need that much coffee. I just need one cup. Every morning. Then it's time to contemplate, plan the day, and figure out what I need to do and how I need to do it.

This is what I call (and I'm not medically qualified to start naming syndromes, but this one might be the first good one) the Gymrat Syndrome: when basketball is just our nature, part of who we really are.

This syndrome includes: the drive, passion, burn, desire, or craving to be in the gym or working on your game. I don't know where my Gymrat Syndrome came from, but it started early. It transformed over the years, fueled by my dreams and goals, and my fear of failure or allowing other ballers (taking the liberty of shortening basketball players to ballers) the chance to beat me.

This feeling, when it comes, is like a volcano waiting to erupt; to be the best I can be, to win championships, to be remembered, to succeed, and most of all, to win and not let others beat me!

The thrill of winning and reaching my goals is part of this cycle, this feeling emerging over and over again, that takes me to the court after every morning, after every practice or game--good or bad-- and keeps me working and improving and wanting to sharpen the facets of my game.

I can't suppress the Gymrat Syndrome as much as a volcano on a fault-line can't suppress lava!

But this lava isn't actually burning or melting someone's feet (thank goodness!) This feeling and desire just sloshes around inside of me, burning me on the inside, burning me to go do something: to keep learning, to try new workouts, to drill myself in new ways.

But over the years, I learned the burn to just play basketball isn't enough.

BASKETBALL TIP #1: You can't only be in the gym or only think about basketball or only lift weights. There has to be premeditated, planned, decisive action that covers all of your designated areas of improvement (I'll call these AOI.)

BASKETBALL TIP #2: Spend time thinking about what these areas are and start planning ways to turn weaknesses into strengths and strengths into ultra-strengths!

For example some people might be need to work on their left hand dribbling. Others might need to fine tune (more like overhaul!) their weight room routine and training habits (especially if you look like a bodybuilder with pole legs!) Some might need to find ways to control their nervousness and mindfulness on the court. There are thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of things to work on!

How do we pick?

Every person has a different path to basketball enlightenment (well, not really like Buddha enlightenment, but a very clear understanding of who and what you are on the court), but you will have to be painfully honest with yourself.

Why?

Because it is these areas that will take you to the next level. It is these areas I will talk about and harp on. But the burn has to take you to these AOI. It has to make you improve and work on the things you really need. It has to expand your mind, bring presence to your game, and help your maturity both on and off the court. I have found ways to channel that burn and become more productive as a person, a player, and an athlete and I want to help you do the same.

Be careful! There is tons of static, white noise, and things trying to stop you! Everyone will have different challenges, barriers, and setbacks! But know this: there is so much more to basketball-- right under the thin veneer of sports hype, ESPN commentators talking too much, and NBA players trash talking to each other-- that is the real part of what being a basketball player really means.

So again, this is my challenge for you: (1.) find the sacred side of basketball-- where humility, hard work, and presence (more on this later)-- will be your foundation. (2.) start thinking about your AOI on a broad scale that involves your game, your body, your soul, your spirituality, your knowledge, etc. (this is your AOI, you need to figure this out and what you need.)

If you have questions, ask.

Deal?

Deal.

Now I didn't always get paid to play basketball, but it was a byproduct of the burn inside of me. That started a long, long time ago-- now just a fairytale inside my head-- as a little boy dribbling a ball in an empty gym, sweating and counting down the seconds until shooting the last second basket in front of a thousand imaginary, fanatical fans. I was that little boy (this analogy works for girls too!) at one time-- dreaming and hoping and working towards the next level-- and now I'm passing the torch to you! Now it is you that is going to make this journey! It is you that will pass the torch next!

Your first task on this new journey:

Ask a question!

Start a discussion!

Take action!

(or take the shot!)


I've learned so much on my journey; countless lessons, insights, and barriers broken, yet still playing basketball all over Europe against some of the best in the world; for money, championships, pride, and the right to say, “I'm part of the Elite.”

This isn't about me (well it sort of is, but really, I want this to help you reflect about you!) and I want to keep this as honest and raw as possible. My career might be in the final stages, but what about your career?

What about your path?

Where is it headed and why?

This is the time to ask. This is the moment to learn.

The beautiful thing about basketball, heck about sports in general, is that you usually reap what you sow. If your harvest is empty, maybe you need to think about the seeds you're sowing and start over again.

So let's get to it already, work together, and start fulfilling all of our potential!-- Trevor H.


2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Absolutely agree.
'but you will have to be painfully honest with yourself.'

Being painfully honest and building awareness of your capabilities pushes you in the direction of excellence...humility and determination pushes you even more...in the best way.

Awesome post! :)