Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Basketball Coaching Blogs

It wasn't too long ago that I was a 15 year-old kid looking for basketball guidance from coaches. Now, I want to help coaches, players, and parents out there get a real chance at making it to the next level. There are just so many basketball philosophies, strategies, tactics, and drills out there to choose from. It's overwhelming, really.

I was lucky to meet Jason Otter when I was younger. He was everything I was looking for to learn how to get to the next level-- hard work, detailed break downs of offensive movement through deliberate practice routines that were insanely harder and harder, and the mental advantage of learning basketball from a coach that had played professionally (which was what my goal was too).

From day 1, I just tried to soak up Coach Otter's wisdom. I really focused on his basketball tips-- how to position my feet, where the ball should be on this drill, how hard I should be working, what I should be doing in the weight room, and how to incorporate his dribble and triple threat matrix of basketball moves into my individual practice program.

It was hard. I was sore. I sweat more than ever. But it was fun. It was fun to play and practice intensely, doing things that directly transferred to court value, success, and confidence. I owe him a lot for my success.

I was the worst player on my team when I arrived at Kent State University in 1999. Four years later, I was playing in the ELITE EIGHT of the NCAA tournament, meeting the likes of Bill Walton, and other infamous basketball stars. I tried out for the NBA and failed. I tried again and failed. Then I went to Europe and started my career there. 10 years later, I've learned a great deal about basketball. About getting better. About organizing your drills around your game-- the strengths and weaknesses that have to be flushed out through proper training.

Coach Otter taught me the importance of not doing what everyone else is doing. Not following the "herd" mentality. It truly made me the player I am today and I'm eternally grateful for that. I guarantee you can learn from his system of basketball training, just like I did.

I think coaches, players, or ambitious parents could use his system. It's truly changed my basketball career forever and it can work at all levels. Have a great day, and remember there's always people out there trying to get better. Fight the resistance. Have a plan. And get up and do it again tomorrow. Sincerely, Trevor Huffman

Ps. check out his Online Basketball School here: http://www.otterbasketball.com/products/training.php

No comments: